Peptic Ulcer Causes
Causes of peptic ulcer can be various; the most common among them are Helicobacter pylori, NSAIDs, too much of stomach acid secretion, and unhealthy lifestyle.
Peptic Ulcer Cause
The causes of peptic ulcer are infection, drugs and unhealthy lifestyle.
- It has estimated that majority of the cases of peptic ulcer are due to Helicobacter pylori, a spiral shaped bacterium. Normally, the stomach acid has to kill these types of microbes, however; low stomach acid may help this microbe to grow instead of being killed.
- Peptic ulcer can also be causing or worsen by frequent use of certain medications such as Aspirin, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Some common NSAIDs are ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, others), ketoprofen (Orudis, Orudis KT, Oruvail), naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan), oxaprozin (Daypro), indomethacin (Indocin), diclofenac (Voltaren, Cataflam), etodolac (Lodine), piroxicam (Feldene), meloxicam (Mobic), tolmetin (Tolectin), nabumetone (Relafen), and fenoprofen (Nalfon). NSAIDs and aspirin are useful to treat pain, fever, arthritis, and inflammatory conditions.
- Peptic ulcer develops when the acid and gastric juice has broken the defense mechanisms of the gastrointestinal tract and start eroding the mucosal wall.
- Consuming too much of caffeine containing beverages or foods may disrupt the regular digestion can cause peptic ulcer.
- Consuming too much of alcohol may be in combination with the stomach acid, and gastric juice can lead to peptic ulcer.
Peptic Ulcer Risk factors
Certain factors may influence the chances of peptic ulcer is considering as risk factors of peptic ulcer. The most common risk factors of peptic ulcer:
- Some studies establish a correlation between smoking and ulcer formation. However, other studies have found that smoking by itself may not cause an ulcer instead when combine with other risk factors.
- Spicy diet consumption is once considering as an ulcer-causing agent; however, now it understood that it has only minor importance for the development of peptic ulcer.
- Caffeine also commonly thought to cause an ulcer; however, it cannot cause the ulcer and can only aggravate it.
- Physical, mental and emotional stresses may disturb the stomach’s defense mechanism and thus considering as a risk factor for the ulcer.
- If you had undergone radiation therapy for treating any disease such as cancer.
- Older people with arthritis are more vulnerable may be due to insufficient sleep or medication; they take that can disturb the digestion process.
- Those who are already had an ulcer.
- Other mental conditions that cause more worry such as anxiety, depression, etc.
- Another study observes that the incidence of peptic ulcer was higher among people who eat a diet rich in refined flours and polished rice.